The Penn Museum Graduate Advisory Council (GAC) is a representative council that facilitates student involvement with the Penn Museum and collaboration with other interested graduate students. Any Penn graduate student at interested in opportunities at the Museum is welcome to join GAC.
The Penn Museum Graduate Advisory Council (GAC) is a representative council dedicated to facilitating lateral engagement among graduate students and promoting their involvement both as collaborative stakeholders within and as advisers to the Penn Museum.
- To develop and maintain inclusive representation of graduate students from the various disciplines and departments that engage with the Penn Museum
- To facilitate academic, professional, and social opportunities for graduate students within the Penn Museum
- To build a collaborative relationship with the Penn Museum
- To provide graduate students with a means to advise the Penn Museum on issues of interest to graduate students
- To build interdisciplinary relationships among graduate students through the Penn Museum
Membership and Meetings
GAC meets on the first Tuesday of each month at 12pm in Classroom L2 at the Penn Museum. GAC also organizes a weekly writing group, professional and academic development workshops, and social events, including trips to other Philadelphia institutions. Any interested graduate student enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania may become a member of the Penn Museum Graduate Advisory Council.
2019-2020 Schedule of Monthly Meetings
- September 3: Introduction
- October 1: Graduate Guides, Amanda Grady, Group Sales Manager
- November 5: Upcoming Galleries on Ancient Egypt, Dan Rahimi, Director of Galleries
- December 3: New Archives Corridor, Kate Quinn, Director of Exhibitions and Special Programs
- February 4: Design of the New Africa Galleries, Joshua Lessard, Exhibition Architect and Designer
- March 3: Using Tech in Museums, Jessica Milby, Manager of Digital Records, Archives, and Publications
- April 7: Cultural Heritage Center, TBD
Structure of GAC
GAC is made up of the General Council and the elected Board, including President, Vice President, President Emeritus and Chairs of Communication, Professional Development, Academic Development, and Social Programming.
How to Get Invovled