Help us call in the Year of the Dog! Submit your best dog photo in our Year of the Dog photo contest.
How to Enter
Between January 8, 2018 and January 22, post your best dog photo on Instagram. In the caption, tell us your dog’s name and its New Year’s resolution! Be sure to include @pennmuseum and #YearOfTheDog in the caption as well. We’re looking for photos that are original, creative, cute, funny, or maybe something else… whatever you think makes a great dog photo!
Nine (9) photos will be selected as finalists and announced on the Penn Museum’s Instagram on January 24. These nine photos will be put on display at the Penn Museum during the Chinese New Year Celebration on January 27, when the public will be invited to vote for their favorite photo. The votes will be counted at 3:00 pm and a winner will be announced during the event—with prizes for photographers and their dogs!
The grand prize winner will receive a one-year Penn Museum Household Membership.* Second place wins a $25 Gift Certificate to the Pepper Mill Café at the Penn Museum. Third place wins a $20 gift certificate to the Penn Museum Shop. And all nine finalists win a doggie goodie bag for their pooch!**
*If the grand prize winner already has an active Penn Museum Household Membership, this prize may be exchanged for a $50 gift certificate to the Penn Museum Shop.
**Please note that service dogs are the only dogs allowed inside the Museum. Entrants do not need to be present at the event to win.
1. The contest is open to residents of the United States age 18 and over except employees of the Penn Museum and their immediate families. Each entry may be submitted only by the original photographer. 2. Photos must be posted before 11:59 pm on Monday, January 22 to be eligible. 3. The photo caption should include the dog’s name, age, breed (if known), and the dog’s New Year’s resolution, as well as the terms @pennmuseum and #YearOfTheDog. Entries whose captions do not meet all of these requirements may be disqualified based on the opinion of the contest judges. 4. No official dog show "win shots" will be accepted. 5. All entrants represent and warrant that any material that he or she submits is original, has not been previously published or won an award, does not infringe upon the copyright or any other right or interest of any other person or organization, and that the entrant has not previously granted any rights to such material to any other person or organization, nor does any third party have any interest in such materials. 6. Each entrant may submit only one photo to be entered into the contest. If an entrant submits more than one photo, any submission beyond the first will not be considered. 7. Winning photos will be published for display during the Penn Museum’s Chinese New Year Celebration on January 27, and may be used in Penn Museum publications in the future (including, but not limited to, the Museum’s social media accounts, printed publications, and website). 8. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST. 9. The Penn Museum shall have the right to disqualify any entries that it deems not to meet the criteria, or due to technical, legal, or other problems, as determined by the Penn Museum at its sole discretion. Judges appointed by the Penn Museum will select the winners based on the quality of the photograph, composition, originality, and appeal. Judges’ decisions are final and binding with respect to all matters relating to this contest. The winners will be notified via Instagram. For a list of winners, available after April 1, 2018, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to Penn Museum Marketing/Communications, 3260 South Street, Philadelphia PA 19104. Requests must be received by June 1, 2018. 10. These rules may be modified at any time without notice.
- First Place: One-year Penn Museum Household Membership
- Second Place: $25 Gift Certificate to the Pepper Mill Café
- Third Place: $20 Gift Certificate to the Penn Museum Shop
- Finalists receive a goodie bag for their dog